Monday, August 1, 2016

Patchwork Managing!


This month is going to be another ragtag one, so expect a lot of different things (some weird movie and comic book reviews for instance). Parody and spoof will carry the month I think. (But plans might change.) One focus will be the late great Jack Davis.


When I think of Jack Davis though the first image which comes to my mind is his simply stunning Frankenstein poster which was so often advertised in the pages of many a comic magazine. I used to want one of those frantically, but back then two dollars might as well have been two hundred dollars. So, as with so many of those delightful old fashioned ads, I could only stare and drool at the image's magnificence. I still think that Davis, more than any artist, captured the resolute sadness of the Frankenstein creature.


In honor of the great Jack Davis, let me use my meager forum to showcase some of my personal favorite covers by the great cartoonist, which will appear daily in the "Favorite Covers" section.


Davis was most famous as possibly the most famous caricature artist of his era, and it is in that vein that I hope to spend the month focused on spoofs (as much as I will focus on anything), specifically spoofs of comics like the work of the delightful Fred Hembeck,  the infectious normalman by Valentino, as well as the send up of the Justice League, and Ambush Bug (which I've never ever read but did pick up the Showcase volume for) and I think it should be a fun month full of fun offbeat comics. I need to read some comedy given what is happening in the world around us.


Looking forward to a fun month as the long hot summer comes to a close.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I loved Jacks work he seemed to be able to draw anything to the highest standards, but of course its his humour work that always really impressed me. So sad to hear he is no longer with us , one of the true greats that gave me and thousands more years of great memories, thrills and laughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the first MAD artists I was ever aware of, even if I didn't know it at the time. His art was nigh ubiquitous in the 70's.

      Rip Off

      Delete