Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tarzan The Enormous!


When I ordered Tarzan The Sunday Comics 1931-1933 some months ago, I knew it was going to be a big book. But I wasn't ready for the gigantic package which showed up on my doorstep this past Monday. The book is simply mammoth.

I've read mixed reviews on this Dark Horse reprint, but to my relatively untrained eye the material looked vivid and downright exciting. I promised myself that if the Hal Foster Tarzan material came back onto the market, I'd not make the mistake of missing it again, and so I'm happy to have this stuff in any format. But I don't really know how I'm going to store this completely massive tome.

Some have criticized the page count, and that's fair, but with two years of Sunday comics this is a worthy volume, about as thick as the Prince Valiant books from Fantagraphics but much larger in its other dimensions. To have added pages would've made this book too heavy to manipulate. Frankly I'd have settled for a slightly smaller presentation, but it is what it is.

The price point has come under fire too, and that's hard to debate since this book retails for a cool $125 simoleons! Getting mine though Amazon saved a few shekels, but it was still a hefty price.

But in the final analysis I'm happy to have this book, regardless of how utterly enormous it is.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Received my copy in the mail Monday from Amazon also.
    I was shocked at the size of this book, let alone the box it came in.
    It's huge. Where I'm gonna store this I don't know.
    Maybe put legs on it and make it a table!

    I don't quite understand the negative criticisms.
    Expensive? Yes. Love It? Yes!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much agree. Now we have to get the next three. Yikes!

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. wow I wonder if I can swing this one for Christmas present (no pun intended) could be a coffee table book shades of Kramer in Seinfeld, gosh another 3 books

    ReplyDelete