Friday, August 2, 2013

Final Echoes Of Thunder!

Andy Kubert
After thoroughly enjoying the first volume of DC's most recent adaptation of the classic Wally Wood project T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, I discovered there was a six-part second volume of this story. But sadly it had not been collected into a trade, apparently due to poor sales and the apparent fact that DC lost the license to IDW. So I was left with the prospect of having to dig up back issues. I got fortunate. I was able to find the six issues.

Jerry Ordway
The story picks up right where the first volume left off and offers up a rather satisfying denoument to the whole saga. I won't discuss it to spare anyone who might want to read it, and frankly to discuss it at any length would spoil it, but I will say that while I didn't find it as strong a story as the first six-issue arc, it was perhaps stronger than the second with some outstanding surprises throughout. Among those surprises were artistic turns by Jerry Ordway and Walt Simonson, each contributing a few key pages to the storyline.

Walt Simonson
The Agents are pitted against the Subterraneans, a classic enemy but presented this time with more complexity and sympathy. There is also included a neat little two-part adventure starring a completely revamped Undersea Agent. I have to give this rendition of the Agents a thumbs up, and I recommend both volumes, but sadly you'll have to scrounge for the second.

Here's what they look like.

Frazier Irving
Dustin Nguyen
Rafael Albequerque
Kenneth Rocafort
Cafu & Val Stapes
Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment