Saturday, July 21, 2018

Calling It A Draw!

Related image


I have always been a enthusiastic consumer of editorial cartooning. I find the skills required to blend social commentary with consummate graphics skills fascinating. The ability to make pertinent and often pungent comment on the news of the day is something I've always envied. I even did it very briefly for a local weekly many many years ago, long enough to realize how difficult it can be and for me made my admiration for legendary cartoonists such as the amazing Herblock and others even more robust. 


But alas in these hectic times when we need the singular clarity which an insightful cartoonist can bring to world and domestic affairs, the collapse of the print newspaper has caused the editorial cartoonist to seek other venues. Recently I listened to NPR's 1A which featured a discussion about the transformation of the editorial cartooning field. Featured in that conversation was Rob Rogers, a cartoonist recently dismissed from his position for his focus on the current President's policies among other ideas the editors found reasons to reject. You can check it out for yourself at this link

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment