Thursday, April 19, 2018

Ice Princess!


My daughter is the one who convinced me I needed to see the movie I, Tonya. I admit that since it starred Margot Robbie, an actress I have immense respect for after seeing her in great roles in the last few years, it was a relatively easy push, but left on my own I'd likely have not gotten around to this one. But let me say, it's a darn great flick. (It also stars Sebastian Stan so if you like we have a clever crossover for comics fans -- Harley Quinn and Bucky Barnes in the same movie.) This is comedy of the darkest sort, a smart movie which does its due diligence and tells us a version of the famous "incident" which thrust skaters Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan into the spotlights beyond the relatively obscure realm of figure skating. But it's much more than that too.


This is a movie with real villains, but mostly it's about cracked people filled with conflicted emotions and grim desires who try to find some sunshine in a world which gives them little beyond clouds and rain. It's about people who desperately want love, but because of the nature of their raising and the dark contours of their souls are unable accept and hold onto what little love they find. It's like all great movies, it's not just about something that happened once upon a time in America, but it's about all of us and how we're all in this show together and we need to be on mark for one another. It could be me, it could be you. This is the smartest movie I've seen in a long, long time. See it if you haven't.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment