Friday, December 8, 2017

It's Yet Another Miracle!


I bought Mister Miracle again! Let me explain.


I own it in the lovely original and was there to enjoy it as it landed onto the stands. I bought it again in the late 90's when finally DC reprinted the saga in lush black and white. I picked it up again when DC put the entire Fourth World saga out in chronological order in easy-to-read hardbacks. I shucked over good cash to buy certain issues yet again when IDW published the original pages of Kirby artwork in full-sized editions. And now I've plunked down good money to buy the story again in lovely softcover.


I don't relate all of that to brag, but to point out the extent of my compulsion about the Fourth World work of Jack "King" Kirby. I simply adore it and groaned for many years as DC made use of the characters but didn't really work hard to get the original material into the hands of fans. And now they have done with gusto. We have, with this trade a great well-priced collection for fans of Kirby's Great Escape Artist who is enjoying a moment of comic book glory in a new series. The new series doesn't interest me much right now, but if its existence prompted such a handsome collection I will welcome it.


Despite the bright pink spine, I have to admit that this format might be the most reader friendly version of the saga yet. All eightheen issues are here for your reading pleasure. So if you don't own the original Mister Miracle, this is a great chance. And if like me  you do, then what are you waiting for --there can never be too many miracles.

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. Actually, it contains 18 issues, not 16. It also attributes the inking of the cover to Mike Royer instead of Vince Colletta - even though the same illo is inside the book, credited to Vince. I just wish they'd take more care with things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the corrections. I'll amend the post.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Whenever I look at Kirby's Mister Miracle covers, I ponder whether ol' Jack was into some kinky bondage stuff.

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit when I was a youngster I thought Kirby was a bit of a cheat because Scott Free always came up with some deus ex machina to get himself out of the impossible situations. But later I grokked the point of "Mister Miracle" and quit worrying about it.

      Rip Off

      Delete