Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Alternate Mark Of Kane!


Take this vintage 1969 fanzine Alter Ego cover with typically energetic Gil Kane images surrounding a Marie Severin portrait.


Add one vintage 1963 Gil Kane and Murphy Anderson Green Lantern cover from that classic DC run, in which the artist cleverly bends, if not breaks the Fourth Wall.


And you get the most recent  2017 Alter-Ego pro-zine cover for issue #149 from Roy Thomas and the gang at Twomorrows! Love this one boys. Some books you buy because of the covers. I'd have bought this one anyway, but I'd have bought for the cover too.


And for good measure, here is the interview from that long ago issue of Alter Ego.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. You're right - some mags we do buy mainly for the covers. I've lost count of the number in my own case, but it'll be quite a few. Here's a question for you, Rip - how many times have you bought a mag for the cover and been disappointed with the contents? Or how many times have you bought a mag for the cover, then thought that it didn't do the contents justice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just did it. I bought Not Brand Ecch #14 which had a pretty funny cover, but alas the interiors were not what I anticipated. As for just covers, I will get any Future Quest product from DC which features Steve Rude renderings of the Hanna-Barbera characters, he's awesome.

      Rip Off

      Delete
    2. Must confess that I like Steve Rude's art myself. Got the spirit of Kirby's art, but without the squiggles.

      Delete