Saturday, April 22, 2017

Inhumanizng Influence!


I loved this alternate cover when I first glommed my eyeballs onto it. I was totally jazzed way back in the earliest 70's when Jack "King" Kirby was given the chance to start up The Inhumans in their own title (of sorts). In the grand tradition of Marvel, it was a split-book titled Amazing Adventures and co-starred the Black Widow.


Here's a look at the sumptuous artwork by Kirby and inker Chic Stone given  modern gloss and depth suitable for its new status as a cover image.


It began life as a splash page, the first first splash page and as we see the Inhumans are racing at you with all the proper energy and intensity. Given only ten pages to work with, Kirby was unable to offer up his by then typical classic splashes on this series and so this first page had to serve. The read the story itself go here. Nice to see some vintage Kirby get a new place of prominence in the marketplace. If I see this one on the stands I might just have to grab up a copy.

Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. Don't forget to pay for it 'though, as being rugby-tackled leaving the shop is always embarrassing (so I've been told).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I will either bring money or running shoes.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Gotta say, I prefer the old style coloring. The cheap paper and printing of yore was hella unpretentious, but also put chips on the shoulders of their creators, who desperately wanted to prove the importance of their medium.

    Or maybe I just miss the little dots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both the look of the Kirby-Stone original page as well as the enhanced modern take. But like you, I miss the dots.

      https://4cp.posthaven.com/in-defense-of-dots-the-lost-art-of-comic-book

      Rip Off

      Delete