Tuesday, February 28, 2017

In Love With Kirby!


It's easy to forget that among all his many accomplishments, that Jack "King" Kirby in tandem with his longtime partner Joe Simon largely invented the "Romance Comic" when they put out the first issue of Young Romance for Crestwood Comics in 1947. Kirby went on to draw a lot of romance comic covers in his career, a lot of great art by the King I'd bet was mostly ignored by the boys who devoured his super adventure yarns in comics like Challengers of the Unknown and Fantastic Four. Here is a cover gallery of some of Kirby's great romance covers, some of them from comics not immediately famous for that kind of sappy thing.



























Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Just had to mention that the FF Annual #3 cover you've used here looks like the one I restored and partially relettered for Marvel Masterworks (first printing) before they eventually found and started using an earlier source. 'My' version was used in a few other publications and it always gives me a thrill to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea. I gathered it up at Grand Comic Book Database I suspect for use here. It's a clean copy for sure. So much is happening in that cover it's amazing. I've a theory that the Sub-Mariner figure once was Giant-Man and was changed at some point. Why else would he be so big? Is that a fact that's just generally known and I'm just out of the loop as usual?

      Rip Off

      Delete