Tuesday, March 1, 2016

World's Finest Blog Post!


On the twenty-fifth of this month one of my biggest comic book dreams will come a bit closer to becoming a reality, the Justice League of America will actually almost become a big-feature event. Man of Steel got us in the door with a true-blue blockbuster and now we look forward to Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice. The movie co-features Wonder Woman in her big-screen debut and we get Aquaman, Flash, and (ahem) Cyborg to boot, with others hinted at. It's going to happen, and God willing, in my lifetime.


To celebrate that theatrical arrival, this month at The Dojo the "Favorite Cover" feature will showcase some of my favorite comic covers starring both Superman and Batman, DC's real dynamic duo. The majority of these covers will be from World's Finest Comics, the comic book they shared for several decades, but more than a few are from other assorted titles. Curt Swan, Neal Adams, Steve Rude, and others will show up, so it's an art lover's delight.


Also this month, I will be viewing Season 3 of the classic Batman TV show to put me in the proper DC state of mind. The show abandoned its famous two-part cliffhanger format in this final season but added Batgirl and it saw the return of Frank Gorshin as The Riddler. Looking forward to this one. 


And on a final DC note, I recently picked up the first volume of The Justice League of America - The Silver Age. This volume presents in color in a handy nicely-priced volume the first eleven JLofA adventures from the pages of The Brave and Bold and the first eight issues of the classic run.  (Note: This is contrary to nearly all the solicitations I've seen for this book which suggest it contains many more stories, so buyer beware.) Underneath the restrained Micahel Cho cover are some real gems from a robust time in American history when the world appeared to be simpler and the heroes more certain. That was all a mirage, but these Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky stories deserved a fresh reading.

Otherwise expect the usual array of posts ranging from insightful to inane which normally populate this place.

Enjoy!

Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. I'll check out that Justice League book, Rip. Thanks for the tip-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll like it, though sadly it has fewer stories than advertised many places.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I think the cover is by Michael Cho, not Darwyn Cooke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. I shall update my info. Thanks. Man that sure looks like Cooke.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. I've had my eye on the JLA trade, but was waiting for release to confirm the contents.
    I cancelled a purchase of the omnibus Vol. 1 as a protest of MiS 75 being omitted, and noted that issue is supposed to be included in Vol. 2.
    I'm still tossing up whether to go the omnibus route, but your reviews of the trade are going to push me in one direction or the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Mystery in Space 75 is in this volume, included at the end, though I intend to read and present it right after issue three of the League run. Omnibus books look just too dang big and heavy for comfortable recliner reading to me. How does one read those bricks?

      Rip Off

      Delete