Friday, October 3, 2014

Poets' Gamma Corner!


While the Frankenstein Monster still likely holds the top spot as most famous and quickly identifiable monster, I'd have guess that Marvel's green-skinned Hulk has closed in on that vaulted status. I was reminded of that relative fame when I chanced upon this clever trade collecting up the Green Behemoth's British adventures mostly  from the late 70's and early 80's. 


One true gem hidden in this book is a few-page story set between Avengers #3 and Greenskin's next American story. This "new" tale is a trule untold yarn which pits the Hulk against a matador. It's not really a very good story, but it is reasonably well drawn and competently told, a real hidden treasure from the 1960's  if only for its cultural significance.


Also included in this volume are some prose stories (properly illustrated) from the pages of 1967's  Marvel Story Book Annual and elsewhere.

The bulk though of the contents are short (by American standards) stories featuring the Hulk in his TV mode (lesser strength and more mundane enemies) trudging through his own self-titled comic.

Here are few covers from the run.






Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. Point of interest: That cover to issue #1 of 'Hulk Comic' was done by Brian Bolland, who, at this time, was fast becoming THE star of UK comics with his work on Judge Dredd for 2000AD. However, when he turned in the finished inked artwork, the editor (Dez Skinn) felt that Brian's interpretation of the Hulk wasn't sufficiently 'on model',and so a Sal Buscema head was pasted on. Apparently, Brian was non to pleased.

    Copy & paste this link to (taken from Dez Skinn's own website) to see both versions:-

    http://dezskinn.com/images/Hulk%201%20cover%20before%20and%20after.jpg

    Now, let me just say that even as big a Bolland fan as I am, I think on this occasion, Dez was right.

    Also, it might be worth mentioning that the paste up artist was non other than Paul Neary, who also drew that artwork for at least a couple those other covers (#19 & #44), and who went on to spearhead Marvel UK's rise in the early 90's as their editor in chief, but is probably best known today as Bryan Hitch's inker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great info. Thanks a heap. I had not pegged that as Bolland. It seem unfocused somehow, an odd choice I thought for the cover, but now I understand its use. The Bolland eyes look a bit off in the original, but Sal's head seems an odd fit.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only dabbled in Marvel UK stories. I'm currently reading the Black Knight stories which were included in those Hulk issues, a saga I knew about back then and have always wanted to read.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. Great post. I've always loved the Hulk and he remains my favorite character of the comic book universe EVER. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hulk was my number two fave Marvel character for a very very long time. Only Captain Marvel was ahead of him. I started reading with his first battle with the Legion of the Living Lightning and stayed with Jadejaws until the 90's long after his heyday in my estimation was gone. Those old Trimpe drawn adventures are fantastic still.

      Rip Off

      Delete