Saturday, September 28, 2013

This Takes Me Wayback!


I have to confess that I am intrigued to see what they do with Mr.Peabody and Sherman in this four-issue IDW effort which is produced in anticipation of a new movie from Dreamworks starring the Jay Ward duo. I'm an unabashed fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle and for me the artfully dry humor of "Mr.Peabody's Improbable History" was an absolute highlight of the show. From the awesome introduction (both of them, though I like the museum bit the best slightly) to the final painful pun, their romps through time and space were delicious morsels of pure entertainment.

The very concept of a genius dog with a pet boy is so ideally comical, that everything follows after it. Add in time travel via the WABAC/Wayback Machine and you have  one of the most perfect concepts in the history of popular entertainment. I don't know what tack Sholly Fisch and Jorge Monlongo have in mind, but I'm heartened by the art, which while still modern does evoke the inherent madness of the concept.

I'll have to sample an issue of this. I just have to. It might be almost like time travel itself. I hope.


Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Based on the choice in creators and the look of this cover art, I'm interested in seeing this comic regardless of what Dreamworks may do with a film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like fun. It's an easy concept to do wrong, I just hope they don't.

      Rip Off

      Delete