Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My First Price Guide!


Above is the cover to the very first Overstreet Price Guide I ever stumbled across. Joe Kubert's distinctive rendition of ERB's Tarzan glares at the customer daring him or her to snag a copy.

I still remember finding this tome in a corner newsstand in Ashland, Kentucky in my last year of high school. The book is full of fantastic thumbnail cover images and offered up detailed info on comics I'd never heard about.

And you could read the darn thing without a phalanx of eyepieces to boot! I have collected these over the years, even buying them in back issue. I don't have a complete set by any means.

The Overstreet Guide has changed a great deal since 1975, mostly for the bad, but it remains a nifty glimpse into the hobby, if you can afford a copy these days.

Whatever they do, they'll never top the vigor and life of this classic. And I'll never buy another copy with more anticipation or glee.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment