Friday, May 28, 2010

The Savage Reprint!


I find it very weird indeed to have in my mitts a trade paperback reprint of Marvel's Bronze Age Doc Savage series (which I've reviewed in detail at this very blog). It's a natural thing to have happened, but licensing woes I guess have kept these stories in back issue limbo all this time. But what's most weird about it, is that this Marvel Comics material is published by DC Comics. It almost strikes me as strange as when the debut issue of Shazam hit the stands.

I've adapted to seeing Marvel material show up at Dark Horse and Dynamite (the REH license stuff of course) but seeing it as the "Distinguished Competition" makes this former Marvelite a wee bit woozy.

Nonetheless it is a handsome package, though I'd have love to have an introductory essay by say Steve Englehart or Roy Thomas. This is a bare bones production with an intro to Doc and his Fab Five, but that's it.

This volume is recommended, even if you own the originals. The reproduction is decent and it's neat to have it conveniently under one cover. I assume the B&W material will be collected eventually. But I suppose the team ups with Spidey and the Thing will just stay in limbo for now, perhaps forever.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. It is always very strange when the licensing issues of different parts of comic books cross between the large publishing houses.

    Cheers!

    Steven G. Willis
    XOWComics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever see the last issue of Marvel's "Pizazz"?
    It featured a promo photo of Christopher Reeve as Superman saying...
    "I consider it the greatest honor of my long career to be on the cover of a Marvel magazine!"
    http://www.hembeck.com/FredSez/FredSezJune2005.htm
    (Note: It was AFTER Superman/Spider-Man came out...)

    ReplyDelete