Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Martian Book Of Wonder!


Here's a very neat collection I gathered up this past weekend at my local Barnes and Noble, a collection of the first three Mars novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs, neatly bound and featuring some very lush and frankly beautiful illustrations by Tom Yeates.

I own the Martian stories a few times already, but I could not pass up these gorgeous renderings of John Carter and the original space babe Dejah Thoris. Yeates brings a wonderful blend of modern movement with a dashing sense of old-time illustrative depth to these.

The cover doesn't really do the collection justice. They must've been going for some specific retro look there. This is part of a series I guess, with another by another artist done already for the Jules Verne classics. I'd like to have that one too, but it seems to only be available online.


For much more, see this link for an interview with Yeates about the project and for many of the illustrations in the book. As good as they look online, they look even better in the book itself.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment