Friday, June 26, 2009

My Favorite Comic Book Cover Today #42 - Size Matters!


Hank Pym is arguably my favorite character at Marvel. His problems are exceedingly well documented, and that weakness of character is what makes him compelling to me. He's a hero in spite of his flaws. Not perfect, but a man looking for success and seeking redemption. My favorite sequence of stories with Pym was when Marvel returned him to his Ant-Man role in a series of stories in Marvel Feature. Herb Trimpe started out on the series and drew some outstanding stuff, especially this cover which to my mind evokes quite effectively the classic story which doubtless inspired the creation of Ant-Man himself, The Incredible Shrinking Man.

Rip Off

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing about my second favorite hero. I find Pym to be the most whimsical and fun Marvel hero. Check out the letter page in Marvel Feature #4, that one fan said it best and wow- his words were right on the money for beyond the early '70s.

    His brief stint in Marvel Feature is a keeper. Egghead, Whirlwind, Paraman, Dr. Nemesis ...good times. I like the best his relationship with Jan. Too bad that Jim Shooter did not.

    ReplyDelete